May was a month of very busy or very blah. Not much happening but work and chores.
June is starting out a little better. Had to go in for the usual 6 month check for meds and got a referral to the sleep clinic. I just got tired of yawning all the time (no pun intended). The VNA will be contacting me for a home visit to set me up with a new CPAP machine because the sleep apnea seems to have worsened. That will be good.
Spent much of today working on a mini Top Hat or Fascinator. It’s just a practice one as I’ve never done this sort of thing before. Did all of it by hand and learned a great deal about putting one of these together.
The crown is nearly complete
I started out by putting the brim together; turned out to be a bit of a mistake. It’s much harder to sew the wall to the upper part of the brim when the brim is stitched together.
When I finished with the brim, I stitched the stiffening material (for this one I’m using plastic quilting template material) inside 2 crown circles. It was stitched to the outer layer and all the tiny little notches clipped.
Then I turned to the wall of the hat. Decided to use the same type of inner lining method and cut 2 additional wall pieces. Then I stitched up the back seam. Only I forgot to just stitch through one layer so I could turn the piece properly. Thus it was very hard to put the stiffening element into place and I had to wrestle with that for a little while before it came together. Next time I’ll baste the stiffening element to the inner liner before stitching up the back seam. I think it will be easier that way.
Mid point of assembly
Then I started to put the crown onto the wall and got about half way around before realizing I’d sewn it to the wrong end of the wall. These little hats are supposed to be a bit wider at the top than they are where they meet the brim. So I had to pick it apart and redo it the correct way. Then it went together very nicely.
The hardest part was sewing the finished top to the brim. Because this is a fascinator I didn’t think I needed to cut the center hole for the hat.
I was wrong.
It would have been much easier to stitch the top to the brim had I cut the hole. I’ll remember for next time.
I shot the finished product next to a spool of thread just so show the scale of this particular Top Hat. When I say mini, I do mean mini.
I was in charge of the house for most of the month of May. Lee had to be out of town for 2 Rainfall Shows (http://www.pevnickdesign.com/gwflash/index.html) so I took care of things like bill paying, toilet paper buying and Morph feeding/litter box duty.
What’s a Morph? Morpheus or Morph as she is commonly known, is Lee’s cat. When he is out of town, I help out by feeding her and keeping her littler box scooped. Because Lee was gone for such a long time, she was very lonely. Morph was raised in a game shop so she is definitely a “people” cat. She doesn’t get along well with the other cats in the house. So I started letting her into my room during the day.
She quite enjoyed sleeping on my bed for most of the day. Now and then she would come down onto the little table I have set up to jot notes and things down for some pets before going back onto the bed to snooze some more or out of the room for a walk..
Even though Lee is back now, she still likes to come in and visit, especially if Lee is out running errands or down at the lab.